Monday, April 19, 2010

What’s It All About, Anyway?

It’s been a while since my last post and I’m sure all college students out there know why: school work and parties.

Yes, the ever-present question in any graduating senior’s mind. For many the thought of choosing work over enjoyment isn’t even considered; partying comes first in your senior spring. It’s been hard these past few days for me to choose school over the more exhilarating option. Spring week is in full swing at Wellesley and I’ve just returned from my last Marathon Monday. Students and residents come out to the famous scream tunnel to cheer on the thousands of runners that pass by Wellesley’s campus at the half-way mark of the Boston Marathon. Screams of women can be heard from all over campus and echo even after runners have passed by. This tradition is just the icing on top of our spring week. Friday evening was our Dyke Ball; girls and guys come dressed in their most creative black tie, often times in their fanciest lingerie. Saturday was Avant Garde, the Ethos fashion show on campus, and last evening I attended our spring concert with Wale and Jon Hope.

This week has pulled me in two directions. I’m struggling to have fun in my last semester of college, while still trying to carry the course load of five classes. And apply for jobs. It tires me just thinking about it. My throat is sore from all the screaming, my face is still nipped from all the runners’ kisses I finally got (my sign read, “Kiss me, I’m JEWISH,” and 38 runners planted wet ones on my cheeks) and spring week still isn’t over.

Talking to my senior friends, some deep into their thesis work, others going out five days a week, it’s tough to decide which path to take. My best friend recently said, “Senior year is not only about looking for jobs—you have to enjoy college while you still have it.” And she’s right. But first I have to get some reading done, do some translation work, and then take a breath.

I’ve been evaluating my time in college and it’s nice to think of all the traditions I have participated in and upheld. I’ve jumped in our lake, explored our forbidden steam tunnels, and danced at many an on-campus party. I’m sure every school has traditions and everyone has partaken in at least one. Those memories are great when you run into an alum, be it one coming back to campus for another tradition (I screamed with one at the tunnel today!), or one you’d like to connect with while looking for jobs. Those memories, traditions, and even parties, that you go to will forever be a part of your college experience.

I can’t imagine spending my last semester, or year, pent up in my room worried only about grades. Graduation day (May 28th!) grows near and it is scary but also exciting. Take some time away from all the frustration and frenzy of finals and theses for just a weekend, or two, and have the last hurrah of your college days. It can’t hurt, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment