Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Work v. Play: List Your Way to a Happy Ending

I’ve been having an extraordinarily hard time focusing lately. I suppose that’s normal for a second semester senior, right? My lack of motivation has manifested itself in my classes and extracurricular activities. This has become a problem for me. I’ve turned to my lists to remedy my lethargy. After nearly four years of college I have found my to-do lists can get me through many situations. You might be wondering, what’s so special about to-do lists?

I asked myself that very same question until I took up list-making. College students have so many activities to balance; here’s my list: 
How do we keep track of it all? Some of you might have photographic memories (jealous!) or amazing planners to mark everything down in, but for many, that just isn’t enough. So we resort to little tricks, mine being lists.

Often times, simply the action of writing down everything that needs to get done gives me a little, but necessary, nudge. Search the Web for correlations between memory and writing things down and you'll find countless articles about muscle memory and the connection between the act of writing and remembering that item. Much like practicing dance steps, writing a to-do list or grocery list helps you remember to turn in that paper or pick up milk, just in case you lose that planner or forget to bring your list to the store.

As a senior, I feel like I’m taking a multiple choice quiz every day: work or play? After three full years of classes, I finally have Fridays off. What kind of a senior am I if I don’t enjoy my final spring to the fullest? With my lists, I can balance the demands of school and the desire to socialize. I never neglect to have a non-school activity on my lists, and I never have to pull all-nighters – don’t you wish you were me?

I’ve solved my motivational dilemma with my lists. They help me to focus on what I need to do, to prioritize my plan of attack, and thus to worry less. Because of this, I can enjoy my free time with friends, rather than worrying about academics and finishing my work.

So get out that little notepad you’ve always wanted to use for something, pick your favorite pen, and write it all down. From working out, to your ten page paper due next week, put your mind at ease. And of course, don’t forget the gratifying scribble you will soon scratch through all of those items on your to-do lists: ta-dah! Happy listing!

No comments:

Post a Comment